Adding pictures, tables, and graphs is a good way to break up large blocks of text in your notebook, however, there are several things one should keep in mind when adding graphics to a log.
- Stay consistent
- Try to keep your pictures relatively the same width across, to maintain a sense of fluidity throughout the notebook.
- However, more important pictures should be larger to place emphasis
- If your engineering notebook is typed, take sure that every picture is formatted the same way (ex. rounded corners or drop shadow)
- Explain your graphics
- Pictures should always have captions, with arrows and labels as needed to explain what is happening
- Tables and graphs should be properly labeled so that readers can easily understand what the log is trying to convey.